What is the relationship between the mind and the body?
We mostly agree that:
- We all have a mind and a body.
- They interact with one another.
- Your mind is private to yourself.
Here are some positions that we have taken:
- Dualism: minds and matter are fundamentally different things. main criticism is the observation that if they are fundamentally different things how can they interact with one another?
- Monism: minds and matter are not fundamentally different things.
- Idealism: Mind only, no body.
- Materialism: Mater only, no mind.
- reductionist: everything reduces to physics
- eliminative: no such thing as the mind
All of these have challenges, empirical and/or theoretical. More recently, a line of thinking called behaviorism / functionism has shed more light into this question.